ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
The Department of Biotechnology was established in the year 2002 with an objective to acquaint and enable students to excel in the field of biotechnology. It offers both undergraduate (B.Sc.) and postgraduate (M.Sc.) academic programmes. The department has ten faculty members from diverse area of expertise and specializations and continuously strives to provide the quality education, providing an excellent academic cum research environment through its ongoing programmes. It imparts academic training for the students to make them competitive, confident, self motivated and to enthrall in higher studies. The department is equipped with good infrastructures with several instruments to support the current academic and research initiatives. It is also equipped with a separate library consisting of more than 1200 books and journals provided with internet facilities. The department has also applied for doctoral programme leading to Ph.D., which is expected in near soon.
- MISSION AND GOALS
- The Department of Biotechnology, D G Vaishnav College is established during 2001-2002 with the aim of imparting quality higher education in Biotechnology.
- We have the vision to improve the quality and quantity of manpower in the area Biotechnology.
- To get international and national recognitions.
- To expand the scope of Industry Academia interaction towards commercialization of bioproducts.
- To enhance funded research projects and publications on identified area.
- To arrange 100% placement for Post graduate students.
III. CONTACT DETAILS OF THE DEPARTMENT
|1.||Dr. R. Muthezhilan, M.Sc., Ph.D.,
Assistant Professor & Head
|2.||Dr. P. Muthupriya, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.,
|3.||Mrs. S. MeenakshiKannan, M.Sc., M.Phil., SET.,
|4.||Dr. P.Indumathi, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.,
|5.||Dr. R. Sumathy, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.,
|6.||Mrs. T. Yuvarani, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.,
|7.||Mrs. S. Mahitha, M.Sc., M.Phil., SET.,
|8.||Dr. M. D. BalaKumaran, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D., SET.,
|9.||Mr. B.Prabhu, M.Sc., Ph.D.,
|10.||Dr. K. M. Sucharitha, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D., SET.,
- FACULTY DETAILS
Assistant Professor & Head
Dr. R. Muthezhilan is a Master of Applied Microbiology and having a PhD degree in Marine Biology from Annamalai University. He has over 16 years of research experience in the field of Mycology, Marine Microbial Technology and Microbial Metabolites. He has teaching experience of 10 years and published several research articles in internationally peer reviewed journals and also serving as a reviewer for many reputed journals. He is also serving as Deputy Controller examinations, DGVC and also serving as Board of Studies Member, Doctoral Committee Member in few other Universities. He has memberships in various Professional Bodies of International repute.
Dr. P. Muthupriya holds her PhD degree in Zoology under University of Madras, and has over 14 years of research experience in the field of Taxonomy, toxicology and Reproductive Biology of Marine Zooplankton. She has teaching experience of 10 years and published several research articles in international journals and also serving as a reviewer for reputed journals.
Mrs. S. Meenakshi Kannan has completed her M.Sc., M.Phil., in Biotechnology. Her field of interest is Animal Tissue Culture Technique, Genetic Engineering, Molecular Cell Biology Techniques, Stem Cell Biology, Cancer Biology & Tissue Engineering. She has teaching experience of 16 years and published several research articles in international journals and also serving as a reviewer for reputed journals.
Dr. P. Indumathi has completed her M.Sc., in Biochemistry and M.Phil., in Genetics and Ph.D in Biochemistry from Bharathiar University. Her field of interest is Plant Biochemistry. Her research work focuses on anti-cataract effect of natural plant sources. The prime outcome of her research is that fruit can prevent stress induced cataract formation. She has also published her research work in journals – J Acupunct meridian stud, IJSRP, IJBPR, IJSPR and WJPR.
Dr. R. Sumathy has completed her M.Sc., M.Phil., in Biotechnology. Her field of interest is Plant biotechnology, Cell Biology, Biostatistics, and Microbial Bioprocess Technology. She has teaching experience of 11 years and published many papers in International journals. She has received many academic achievement awards.
Mrs. T. Yuvarani completed her M.Phil., in the discipline of Bioinformatics in the year 2009. She is currently pursuing her research in the same field at Bharathiar University and M.Sc., Yoga with Naturopathy at Tamilnadu sports University. Her area of specialization is Bioinformatics, Genomics, Proteomics and Genetics and published various paper in International Journal.
Mrs. S. Mahitha has completed her M.Sc., M.Phil., in Biotechnology and PGDBI. She has qualified SET exam conducted in Feb 2016. She has teaching experience of over 6 years
Dr. MD Balakumaran holds his PhD degree in Applied Microbiology-Botany from the Centre for Advanced Studies in Botany, University of Madras, India and has over 8 years of research experience in the field of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Nanobiotechnology. He has published several research articles in internationally peer reviewed journals and also serving as a reviewer for many reputed journals.
Mr. B. Prabhu has completed his PG in Biotechnology and has submitted his PhD thesis in the topic “Chemopreventive effect of Indole and Triterpene on Experimental Bladder Cancer,” under SRM Medical College, SRM University, India. He is specialized in Cancer Biology, Carcinogenesis, Chemoprevention and canhandled the technique RT-PCR, Western Blotting ELISA and Immunocytochemistry. He has published research articles in internationally peer reviewed journals.
Dr. K. M. Sucharitha., PhD (Microbiology) Assistant Professor, Department of Biotechnology; passionate in teaching profession. Expertise in identification of bioactive compounds and trained in handling Cancer cell lines. Skilled in Bioinformatics software tools, involved as a Proactive organizing member and team player of numerous research initiatives with strong teaching experiences.
For UG Biotechnology – For the batch 2017-18 onwards:
|Subject Name||Sem||Credits||Theory/ Practical
|Language – 1||1||3||75||25||100|
|English – 1||1||3||75||25||100|
|Core – Cell biology||1||4||75||25||100|
|Practical 1: Cell biology||1||3||75||25||100|
|Practical 2: Microbiology||1||3||75||25||100|
|Non-Major Elective -1||1||2||75||25||100|
|Language – 2||2||3||75||25||100|
|English – 2||2||3||75||25||100|
|Core – Developmental Biology||2||4||75||25||100|
|Allied – Chemistry||2||4||75||25||100|
|Practical 3: Developmental Biology||2||3||75||25||100|
|Practical 4: Chemistry||2||3||75||25||100|
|Non-Major Elective -2||2||2||75||25||100|
|Language – 3||3||3||75||25||100|
|English – 3||3||3||75||25||100|
|Core – Genetics||3||4||75||25||100|
|Allied – Biochemistry||3||4||75||25||100|
|Core Practical 5: Genetics||3||3||75||25||100|
|Allied Practical 6:Biochemistry||3||3||75||25||100|
|Language – 4||4||3||75||25||100|
|English – 4||4||3||75||25||100|
|Core – Genetic Engineering||4||4||75||25||100|
|Allied – Bioanalytics and Biostatistics||4||4||75||25||100|
|Core Practical 7: Genetic Engineering||4||3||75||25||100|
|Core – Immunology||5||4||75||25||100|
|Core – Bioinformatics||5||4||75||25||100|
|Core – Microbial Bioprocess Technology||5||4||75||25||100|
|Elective – Pharmaceutical biotechnology||5||3||75||25||100|
|Elective – Marine Biotechnology||5||3||75||25||100|
|Core – Immunology& Bioinformatics||5||4||75||25||100|
|Core – Animal Biotechnology and Stem cell biology||6||4||75||25||100|
|Core – Plant Biotechnology||6||4||75||25||100|
|Core – Environmental biotechnology||6||4||75||25||100|
|Elective – Intellectual property rights, Biosafety and bioethics||6||3||75||25||100|
|Elective – Industrial Biotechnology||6||3||75||25||100|
|Core Practical 9: Animal Biotechnology & Plant Biotechnology||6||4||75||25||100|
For PG Biotechnology – For the batch 2017-18 onwards:
|Subject Name||Sem||Credits||Theory/ Practical
|Core – Biochemistry and Biomolecules||1||4||75||25||100|
|Core – Microbiology and Immunology||1||4||75||25||100|
|Core – Molecular Cell Biology||1||4||75||25||100|
|Elective – Molecular Genetics||1||3||75||25||100|
|Elective – Developmental Biology||1||3||75||25||100|
|Core Practical – Biochemistry & Biomolecules; Microbiology & Immunology; Molecular Cell
|Soft Skill – I||1||2||100|
|Core – Animal Biotechnology
and Stem cell biology
|Core – Plant Biotechnology||2||4||75||25||100|
|Core – Genetic Engineering||2||4||75||25||100|
|Elective – Bioinformatics||2||4||75||25||100|
|Elective – Marine Biotechnology||2||3||75||25||100|
|Core Practical – Animal Biotechnology; Plant Biotechnology; Genetic Engineering; Bioinformatics||2||4||75||25||100|
|Soft Skill – II||2||2||100|
|Core – Microbial and Bioprocess Technology||3||4||75||25||100|
|Core – Enzymes & enzyme Technology||3||4||75||25||100|
|Core – Environmental biotechnology||3||4||75||25||100|
|Elective – Pharmaceutical
|Elective – Advanced Molecular techniques||3||3||75||25||100|
|Core Practical – Microbial Bioprocess Technology; Enzymes & enzyme Technology; Environmental Biotechnology||3||4||75||25||100|
|Soft Skill – III||3||2||100|
|Elective – Research Methodology, Bioethics & Biostatistics||4||3||75||25||100|
|Elective – Tissue Engineering||4||3||75||25||100|
|Core – Project dissertation & Viva voce||4||5||75||25||100|
|Core – Mini project & Internship||4||4||75||25||100|
|Soft Skill – IV||4||2||100|
For UG Biotechnology
Eligibility for admission:
- Candidates for admission to the first years of B.Sc., Biotechnology course shall be required to have passed Higher Secondary examinations conducted by the Government of Tamil Nadu, or an examination accepted as equivalent thereto by the syndicate of the University of Madras.
- Aggregate marks obtained in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics / Biology will be considered for admission.
For PG Biotechnology:
- A Candidate with a Bachelor’s Degree in Science in the disciplines of Biotechnology,, Biology, Botany, Zoology, Microbiology, Genetics, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physics, Agriculture from this University or B.E/ B.TECH (Biotech), B.V.Sc, MBBS, BDS or an examination of some other University accepted by the Syndicate as equivalent thereto shall be for the M.Sc Degree Examination of this University after a course of two academic years in an Affiliated Colleges of this University.
- The department is equipped with state of the art equipments in independent laboratories for Microbiology and Immunology, Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics (with updated softwares), Plant Cell and Tissue Culture, Animal Cell Culture.
- Laboratory infrastructures in the department consist of a variety of major equipment such as GC-MS, HPLC, PCR, Hybridizer, Fermentor, Lyophilizer, Sonicator, UV-Spectroscopy., other than several minor equipments providing an array of facilities for both teaching and research purpose.
- Department is enriched with separate library with more than 1200 books in different disciplines and has a collection of highly reputed National & International journal.
International Coastal Cleanup Program, 2017
Workshop on “Organic farming”, 2017
Workshop on “Molecular Techniques”, 2018
National Seminar on “Biotechnological Approaches towards Sustainable Future, (NSBA, 2018)
Ms. M.S. Sasikala and Mr. K. Parri Francis Vivek of II M.Sc Biotechnology has been selected for Student project sponsored by TamilNadu State Council for Science and Technology
The UG B.Sc. Biotechnology students have won the overall women’s championship in the annual sports’ 2017-18 at DG Vaishnav College.
- Our students are placed in Academic/Industrial sector at various levels
- The Faculty and students have participated in National and International academic events and published research papers.
- Frequent Guest lectures by well known Scientist and senior Academicians were arranged to enrich the knowledge among the students.
- Internship programme were arranged for students in Academic Institutions and Industries.
- Scheduled regular visit to various industries to inculcate the student about recent research activities.
- Active participation of department students in different sports events representing district and national level; rewarded with prestigious awards.
- NCC Student from the Department represented at Republic day Parade at New Delhi.
- Students were been motivated to participate in Social awareness programme such as International Coastal cleanup Program.
- Our students received many prizes from various Inter Collegiate academic/cultural events.